An Estonian SME is offering an IT platform that engages the user community in organizing historic images and enriching metadata. This gives the general public access to map-based cultural heritage content. The software platform can be easily integrated with existing GLAMs (galleries, libraries, archives and museums) public digital collections of historic photographs or with the existing GLAM websites. GLAM industry partners are sought for commercial agreement with technical assistance.
An Estonian SME has developed an IT tool for establishing location metadata historical images through crowdsourcing. The software offers a platform for engaging the user community in organizing historic photographs and making them searchable on a map.
Public collections in GLAMs have already hundreds of thousands of historic photographs that have been digitized and made accessible online. The problem with the content is that the accompanying metadata is only in textual form and thus language and context specific. This means that it is very hard to find specific content from the digitized collections and public participation in consuming cultural heritage remains limited.
The company is offering the IT tool to tackle these problems in a most effective way. The software is delivered through a Software as a Service (SaaS) model and can be easily integrated with the existing websites of GLAM institutions. The technology has been field tested and is ready to be implemented on a wider scale. The SME is looking for relevant industry partners for implementing the technology in existing or planned digital libraries through a commercial agreement.
- Specific area of activity of the partner: Type: GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives and museums)
Activity: Partners from GLAM sector with a digitized historic photo database are sought.
Role: the software can be easily integrated with the existing websites of GLAM institutions (Software as a Service (SaaS) model).
The company offers an innovative way of enriching the metadata of historical images. Through working with relevant industry partners, the company has established that the task of enriching metadata is so huge that crowdsourcing is the only effective and scalable mechanism to achieve it. The solution offers several advantages:
• Increased effectiveness of the workforce: The offered IT platform creates an effective workflow that proposes a minimum workload for GLAM staff
• High user-engagement: the system is appealing for users thanks to a unique combination of micro-tasking, social validation and gamification.
• Effective use of available content: geographic location has been identified as one of the most important attributes of every cultural heritage item and map-based search as one of the most user friendly ways of accessing the content.
• Proven in real-life environment: The company is already working closely with the biggest historic databases in Estonia and the system contains more than 59 000 historic pictures with over 37 000 of them geo-tagged by users.
Seleccione una de las siguientes opciones para interesarse por esta oportunidad: